As part of the Council’s plans to tackle the Climate Emergency, and following approval of their Climate Emergency Action Plan at the end of 2020, a Climate Action Group is now being launched on 27 January. It will have monthly meetings thereafter.
The Council is responsible for only 2% of the Borough’s emissions, and it aims to reach net zero by 2030, whereas the other 98% of the Borough (residents and businesses) have 30 years to reach net zero. As buildings and energy account for 81% of the Borough’s emissions, it is clear that this is an item which has to be tackled urgently. Thus, the boilers in Merton’s 90,000 homes will have to be replaced or converted at the rate of 3,000 per annum – quite a challenge! It was noted that retrofitting is estimated to cost 10 times more than installing low-carbon heating in the first place.