Our Archaeology Collection is small but has finds from around the whole Borough. The early members of the Museum team were geologists and natural historians. They were also very interested in early people and collected and donated many local finds in our historic collection of flint implements, including many local finds collected or given by them. Some are from Wimbledon Common.
A selection of finds from excavations on the site of the Elizabethan Manor House are on display alongside a model of the house, once called ‘Wimbledon’s greatest ornament’, but demolished in 1717.
A magnificent section, based on finds from one local garden, explains the sequence of finds from it dating from the Roman period to the present day. Our clay pipe collection covers several hundred years from the 1600s to the Victorian period and is a useful reference for any visitor to identify and date their finds.